Promation is seeking an experienced Senior Mechanical Designer for our Automotive Division to deliver mechanical designs for systems based on project and customer requirements, using 3D CAD software.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Based on Customer/ Project requirements: Create concepts and fully develop designs, including detail drawings, detailed bills of materials and engineering calculations, using 3D CAD software. Designs will be based on input from: Engineering Management, Project Management, Customers, the Manufacturing Team, and other team members from Mechanical and Controls Design, Procurement and Suppliers.
- Demonstrate the understanding of the project by defining machine operations and processes required to generate cycle time/process sequence charts and test parameters.
- Create Bills of Material (BOMs) for manufactured and commercial items.
- Works with manufacturing and assembly staff to implement the designed equipment.
- Work effectively in a cross functional team with Electrical and Controls Designers, Programmers, the Assembly Team and Project Management to develop, design and deliver custom design and built assembly automation equipment.
- Works independently or in design teams as required by the project.
- Assists / assigns work to other members of the Mechanical Design team that have been assigned to support the Senior Mechanical Designer.
- As required, participate with the project manager in the development of the project schedule and budgeted hours distribution.
- Provide accurate reports on project status to the project manager and department managers.
- Participate with the development and implementation of design / drafting standards, cost reduction methods, and continuously improvements with the purpose of integrating design technology that will facilitate enhanced safety, enhanced functionality, and reduced costs.
- When acting as the “Project Mechanical Lead”, ensure that: project milestones / schedule / budget are achieved, mechanical project documentation (quotes, drawing registers, correspondence, requisitions, drawings packages, part and assembly models, schedules, spare parts lists, etc.) are maintained and up to date.
- Review drawings for: accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, hardness, dimensions, etc. which follows Promation Automotive’s “Mechanical Drawings Checklist” for final approval.
- Provide construction and assembly technical support during the fabrication and build phase of the project.
- As required travel to customer and supplier locations.
- Adhere to all Promation Policies, including but not limited to Health & Safety.
- Provide other deliverables and support as defined by the department manager.
- A post-secondary degree in mechanical or mechatronics engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of directly related mechanical design experience in the automotive automation field.
- Knowledge of mechanical design principles including kinematics, force analysis, pneumatics, hydraulics and manufacturing / machine shop techniques, materials & material strengths, standard mechanical and electrical components to be incorporated within designs.
- Strong ability and experience with SolidWorks, 3D CAD software, in both 3D design and 2D drawings. Able to work from / with sketches and verbal instructions. Be able to clearly issue sketches and verbal instructions to members of the project team.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with analytical and problem-solving skills and strong oral / written communication.
- The ability to be a positive team player in a high paced environment working under tight deadlines.
We believe that our people are our greatest assets and greatest advantage. We offer a comprehensive benefit package that supports the well-being of our employees including above industry standard vacation entitlement as well as hybrid/flex-work environments.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religious creed, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
If you require accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.