Promation Engineering (automotive division) is seeking an experienced Senior Controls Engineer to support our automotive division.
- Work with the project design team to design a control system that will enable the machine to perform its intended function safely and reliably.
- Develop and produce complete electrical design packages, which include detailed schematics, cable routing diagrams, panel layouts, and bills of materials.
- Provide assistance to the Mechanical Design team to ensure consistency of design and project approach.
- Work with members of the Electrical Assembly staff to ensure a proper and efficient build.
- Integrate third party equipment and electronic component entry into electrical design package. Examples include Ethernet based communications, hardware handshaking, opto-isolation, conveyor systems, robotics, pneumatic valves, vision systems, motion control products, processing and test equipment.
- Verify that the electrical design package is complete, accurate and meets safety standards, codes and guidelines (OSHA, CEC, NFPA, RIA, etc.) based on sound design practices and accepted standards.
- Designs and implements safety circuits to meet applicable standards. Becomes involved in machine/process risk assessment evaluation and perform changes as required by PHSR.
- Work with Mechanical & Electrical Designers, toolmakers and electricians to solve problems in order to provide the customer with a complete and functional system.
- Design & develop software programs (PLC based) specific to customer and project requirements based on standard Promation programming methods.
- Knowledge of Robotic control system(s) including functional specifications.
- Select, test, and integrate hardware and software components such as material handling, toque/fastening systems, motion controllers, sensors, vision systems, and lasers.
- Provide thorough testing of machine functionality to verify software program completeness.
- Develop and test custom HMI screens for user control and interface with the system.
- Debug and commissions software programs at the company’s production facility prior to shipment (safety, performance, alarms and diagnostic, calibration and conditioning, sequencing, logging, communication etc.) and then at the customers site during installation.
- Perform engineering tasks including circuit design and analysis, component selection and sizing, layout, schematic and BOM generation, pneumatic diagrams, sourcing material, writing and maintaining manuals in compliance with Company standards and practices.
- Develops test plans to validate equipment design. Written test plans are required for any activity involving new development or prototyping.
- Performs tests, analyzes results, prepares written test reports and makes engineering recommendations as appropriate.
- Trains Production and Company’s Field Service staff in all aspects of the machine; transfer knowledge/release process.
- Contributes to the ongoing enhancement of systems design and department standards.
- 10 years of directly related controls design and programming experience in the automation field.
- A post secondary degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
We are an Equal opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.