To design system solutions, including both hardware and software systems that meet the customer’s process requirements, for a custom designed and built automation equipment and systems. Ideally, we are looking for an intermediate programmer who can also perform electrical design tasks.
- Work with the project design team to design a control system that will enable the machine to perform its intended function safely and reliably.
- Develop and produce complete electrical design packages, which includes detailed schematics, cable routing diagrams, panel layouts, and bills of materials.
- Provide assistance and guidance to the Mechanical Design team to ensure consistency of design and project approach.
- Work with other members of the Controls Engineering Department and other groups to continuously improve methods of integrating controls technology, with the goals of better enhanced safety, functionality, and reduced cost.
- Work with members of the Electrical Assembly staff to ensure a proper and efficient build.
- Specify all electrical and controls-related hardware and software.
- Integrate third party equipment and electronic component entry into electrical design package. Examples include ethernet based communications, hardware handshaking, opto-isolation, conveyor systems, robotics, pnematic valves, vision systems, motion control products, processing and test equipment.
- Verify that electrical design package is complete, accurate and meet safety standards, codes and guidelines (OSHA, CEC, NFPA, RIA, etc.) based on sound design practices and accepted standards.
- Designs and implements safety circuits to meet applicable standards. Becomes involved in machine/process risk assessments evaluation and perform changes as required by PHSR.
- Work with customers, project managers, designers, toolmakers and electricians to solve problems in order to provide the customer with a complete and functional system.
- Design & develop software programs (PLC based) specific to customer and project requirements based on standard Promation programming methods.
- Develops Robotic control system(s) including functional specifications as well as vision guided solutions
- Select, test, and integrate hardware and software components such as robots, material handling, toque/fastening systems, motion controllers, sensors, vision systems, and lasers.
- Provide thorough testing of machine functionality to verify software program completeness.
- Develop and test custom HMI screens for user control and interface with the system.
- Debug and commissions software programs at the company’s production facility prior to shipment (safety, performance, alarms and diagnostic, calibration and conditioning, sequencing, logging, communication etc.) and then at the customers site during installation.
- Assists with machine installation, commissioning, field troubleshooting, and customer training as required.
- Provide accurate documentation for each project.
- Guides, supports and trains junior software developers as directed and as necessary.
- Provides customers and Promation Field Service staff with training specific to current project, ie: machine operation, navigation of electrical schematics, programming principles, program functionality and program structure.
- Develops test plans to validate equipment design. Written test plans are required for any activity involving new development or prototyping.
- Performs tests, analyzes results, prepares written test reports and makes engineering recommendations as appropriate.
- Contributes to the ongoing enhancement of systems design and department standards.
- Adhere to all health and safety rules and procedures.
- A post secondary Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 3 – 5 years of directly related PLC design and Robotic programming experience (Fanuc, Motoman, etc.) in the automation field.
- Specific in-depth knowledge of controls engineering and broad working knowledge of mechanical engineering.
- Solid working knowledge of Canadian Codes and Standards (CEC, OSHA, Z432 etc.), Electrical circuits and sizing (AC/DC circuits, power, transformers, motors, circuit protection), Sensors (analog, digital, high speed, inductive, optical, wiring methods, interfacing and conditioning), using electrical measuring instruments, Networking (Ethernet, RS422/485, RS232, Fieldbus), Strong PLC Skill (hardware and software), Other programming languages (VB, C, ASM), PC Skills (hardware, software, configuring, programming, office, AutoCAD Electrical, internet), Motion (Drives and motors, Servos, Feedback and Closed Loop Control), Robots (Z434).
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Analytical thinking, problem solving, quick learner, strong troubleshooting skill.
- Ability to Multitask and work under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written English communications skills.
- Willing to travel – Amount of travel (if applicable) – 20-30%
While we appreciate all interests, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.