The Mechanical Design Manager will be responsible for developing and managing the Mechanical Design team to deliver concepts, prototypes and offerings that are adjacent to or transformational to Promation’s core business, including the development, design, and delivery of custom design and built assembly automation equipment.
This role is a key link among the various aspects of new automation development and the customer, improving methods and providing insight. The incumbent helps provide strategic direction and prioritization of new systems and/or new business model design efforts. Additionally, the incumbent ensures the proper application of engineering and business practices, procedures, and criteria while ensuring the goals of learning, demonstration and commercialization are met for the project portfolio.
- Ensures ALL industry, regulatory, and company Health & Safety policies and procedures are implemented, understood, and adhered to without compromise.
- Review, Development, and Compensation – Assists the team with the development of challenging goals. Coaches’ direct reports for continually improved performance. Evaluates performance and development progress of direct reports.
- Teamwork (morale) – Creates and maintains an environment that promotes accountability, responsibility, ownership, teamwork, respect, energy, and efficiency.
- Staffing – Manages staffing requirements to support project workload through associate development, transfers, and hires. Balances resources within the department based on changing priorities.
- Develops and maintains subcontractor/supplier partners to address turnkey managed-task scopes and/or to address forecasted resource peak overloads.
- Assists engineers and technicians in the prioritization of tasks and activities for multiple projects. Facilitates cross-functional, market based, team approach.
- Budgeting – Assists with the establishment of departmental budget targets, analyzing variances, and identifying cost reduction opportunities.
- Collaborates with Applications, Project Management, Operations, Support, and QA teams to build tooling/infrastructure and documentation that helps meet the needs of those departments both today and in the future.
- Identify areas to improve, collaborates with the team to create plans and standards, and works with the team to implement changes to improve designs and project performance.
- Provide a clear and direct process for our Engineering team to collaborate across departments and prioritize their workload.
- Advise senior leadership regarding industry best practices and develop parallel processes that support adjacent and transformational innovation, translating those processes to the core business as appropriate.
- Develop partnerships that go beyond customer-supplier relationships – partnerships that accelerate learning for and development of new innovative offerings while mitigating risk for all parties
- Responsible for all projects pertaining to design budget, schedule, and performance.
- Identifies areas of need and opportunities for training of existing or industry-leading technology and development to ensure effectiveness, industry relevancy, and competitiveness of the department.
- Participate in the development and implementation of design / drafting standards, cost reduction methods, and continual improvements with the purpose of integrating design technology that will facilitate enhanced safety, enhanced functionality, improved design department performance, and reduced costs.
- Travel to customer and supplier locations as required.
- Support and maintain ISO 9001 quality assurance program in the division.
- Responsible to review all Cyber Security\IT policies and ensure respective department is complying with it.
- Oversee and foster an effective ERP implementation, process improvements and involvement of all employees.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
- Supports the BD & Marketing Team on active and potential proposals, business lead development, opportunity meetings with prospective leads/clients, etc.
- Prepares marketing content as required and requested in relation to Mechanical Layouts, Concepts and Designs
- In conjunction with others, maintains, enhances, increases, and identifies prospective new relationship contacts with industry partners and clients
- Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering Degree or Certified Eng. Tech. with equivalent relevant experience
- Technical Experience – 15 years minimum within the Automation industry
- Solid working knowledge of the following:
- Canadian Codes and Standards (CSA Z432, etc.)
- Other Industry Standards and Practices (GD&T, ANSI, OSHA, NFPA 79, RIA, cGMP, GAMP, etc.)
- Mechanical design principles including kinematics, force analysis, pneumatics, hydraulics and manufacturing / machine shop techniques, materials & material strengths, standard mechanical and electrical components to be incorporated within designs.
- Material Selection and Manufacturing Processes
- Strong ability and experience with SolidWorks, 3D CAD software, in both 3D design and 2D drawings. Experience with PDM Vault admin and PDM workflows.
- Strong project management skills.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with analytical and problem-solving skills and strong oral/written communication.
- The ability to be a positive team player in a high paced environment working under tight deadlines.
- Analytical thinking, problem solving, quick learner, strong troubleshooting skill
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring based on sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religious creed, ethnic origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.