As a Design Engineer, you have a solid understanding of engineering fundamentals, excel in analytical concepts and solid modeling, as well as being recognized as a leader in the engineering department. Your drive to get things done right, along with your ability to complete projects in a timely manner will be utilized during the following:
- Overseeing sub-groups of the engineering department, guiding them on priorities, and setting timelines and schedules for all or some of the project design scope
- Being the single point of contact on specific design engineering projects, working directly with technical staff and managers to meet requirements
- Assigning tasks to your sub-group for specific projects, providing update status reports and follow up progress checks, as well as attending meetings for your assigned projects
- Lead the technical details of design projects, communicating with your sub-group, and relying on your experience to solve engineering problems within your group
- You are expected to be flexible in your role and open to performing duties as required, as well as accept the challenge of being the primary delegate in the event that the role of Supervisor, Design Engineering, is vacant and required
- Perform engineering calculations with respect to strength of materials, speeds, horsepower, temperature, pressure, force, etc. as related to machine and tool designs.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to determine shape, dimensions, hardness etc. in the development of equipment, processes and products.
- Examine feasibility of using one or more machines to carry out sequential operations.
- Produce working drawings, detail drawings and bills of materials for equipment, sub-assemblies or product, using AutoCAD and Solid Works.
- Analyze designs and systems for compliance to applicable standards (i.e. OSHA, CE or customer specific).
- Review drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, hardness, etc.
- Liaise with customers and in-house technical and engineering staff.
- Liaise with vendors for technical information and specifications.
- Communicate all requested design changes to the Manager or Supervisor, Design Engineering
- Responsible for communicating progress on tasks to the Supervisor
- Formalize and update drawing documentation.
- Create drawings of existing tooling through the use of precision measuring devices such as verniers and micrometers.
- Periodically supervise the mechanical design effort when required, delegating tasks to a team of people comprising of multiple sub groups
- Organize documentation, including quotes, drawing registers, correspondence, requisitions, drawings, schedules, etc. on projects you are leading
- Responsible for communicating time estimates and resource requirements on design tasks to the Manager or Supervisor, Design Engineering, and Project Manager.
- Review electrical requirements with respect to input and output devices with electrical designers.
- Review machine operations and machine sequences with programmers.
- Assist the fabricators, machinists, toolmakers and electricians in the debug, integration resolving problems and completion of systems.
- Determine tools, fixtures and equipment to be used in fabrication and assembly of mechanical components and complete assemblies.
- Select appropriate purchased components for mechanical assemblies and create requisitions with appropriate delivery dates.
- Examine project instructions and drawings to determine test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment and problems involved in designing, changing or re-arranging materials.
- Adhere to all ISO procedures pertaining to the job responsibilities.
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the Promation Code of Conduct
- A post-secondary degree in industrial or mechanical engineering or a related field.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in Ontario is preferred or a registered EIT
- 5 + years or 6000 hours of Solidworks or equivalent.
- Complete understanding of the fundamentals of 3D modeling is required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring based on sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religious creed, ethnic origin, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.